- Introduction to the February 2016 Knowledge Letter
- Got a meeting? Take a walk.
- Steve Jobs on "Think Different"
- Café Debate
- Take a Guess: How Many People Have Ever Lived on Earth?
- Gurteen Knowledge Tweets: February 2016
- Upcoming Knowledge Events
- Subscribing and Unsubscribing
- The Gurteen Knowledge Letter
Introduction to the February 2016 Knowledge Letter
The Gurteen Knowledge Community Group on LinkedIn is now just 5 shy of 5,000 members and is still one more active of all the KM LinkedIn groups.
Take a look if you are not a member and join up if you like it.
Got a meeting? Take a walk.
Next time you have a one-on-one meeting, make it into a “walking meeting”.
Research shows that walking improves your creativity – never mind being good exercise, so take a walk and let ideas flow while you walk and talk.
Nilofer Merchant: Got a meeting? Take a walk.
Steve Jobs on "Think Different"
You may be getting a little bit tired of all the stories and videos posted online about Steve Jobs but I am still enjoying and learning from them
This video is from an Apple "Think Different" - Internal Meeting in September 1997 - just 10 weeks or so after he returned to Apple. What a difference almost 20 years makes!
I am still working on my online book (my blook) and adding to it each day and now have over 150 posts. There is still a huge amount of work to do before I make the content generally available but I am opening up certain posts as I go along for comment and feedback. Here is one - it is how to use a debate to trigger a Knowledge Café conversation. I hope you find it useful.
I have run Cafés to this format only a few times in the past but I tried the process again recenlt at one of my recent Farnborough Knowledge Cafés. The two debaters took a more conversationalist approach than a debating one as explained in the post and it worked a treat.
Take a Guess: How Many People Have Ever Lived on Earth?
Have you ever wondered how many human beings have ever lived on earth? Go on take a guess. And what percentage of those people are alive today?
This page on the Population Reference Bureau website does it's best to make a sound estimate and explains the rationale in some detail.
It surprises me just how small the total is and how high the percentage that are alive today.
One sobering fact is that "Life expectancy at birth probably averaged only about 10 years for most of human history." So much for the "good old days".
Gurteen Knowledge Tweets: February 2016
Here are some of my more popular recent tweets. Take a look, if you are not a Tweeter, you will get a good idea of how I use it by browsing the list of micro-posts.
- The art of questionstorming http://buff.ly/1PNVboj
- Nancy Dixon @nancymdixon asks "Is the Great Transformation On Its Way?" http://buff.ly/1PJHFBZ
- Inspired by Strangers: How to Talk with People While Traveling : The Art of Non-Conformity http://buff.ly/1Sh17GZ
- Seth's Blog: A simple antidote to a corporatized, unfeeling, profit-maximizing world http://buff.ly/JAoOmh
- How to Hold a Retreat or Meeting Where New Thinking Emerges http://buff.ly/Kl3Tqj /what a great conversational process
- Soft skills are not soft http://buff.ly/1Jx7lBc
- HUMAN http://buff.ly/1KA0cuV /how can you not be moved by humanity
- The most important predictor of success in a group is the amount - not the content - of social interaction http://buff.ly/QZ5iLR
- There is something about the pace of walking and the pace of thinking that goes together http://buff.ly/1n9nA8h
- Dubai is going to soon be home to a huge library http://buff.ly/1Qy1cWJ /another amazing building to adorn the Dubai skyscape
If you like the Tweets then subscribe to my Tweet stream.
Upcoming Knowledge Events
Here are some of the major KM events taking place around the world in the coming months and ones in which I am actively involved. You will find a full list on my website where you can also subscribe to both regional e-mail alerts and RSS feeds which will keep you informed of new and upcoming events.
KM Iran 2016
23 - 24 Feb 2016, Tehran, Iran
Henley Forum 16th Annual Conference
24 - 25 Feb 2016, Henley on Thames, United Kingdom
I'll be giving a short after-dinner talk at Henley this year.
IntraTeam Event Copenhagen
01 - 03 Mar 2016, Copenhagen, Denmark
The 9th Annual Global Learning Summit
07 - 09 Mar 2016, Singapore, Singapore
International symposium of new methods of Knowledge Management & Communication
Tue 08 Mar 2016, Tehran, Iran
I'll be speaking at this conference.
4th International Conference on Management, Leadership and Governance
17 - 18 Mar 2016, Boston, United States
APQC's 2016 Knowledge Management Conference
25 - 29 Apr 2016, Houston, United States
KM Legal 2016
18 - 19 May 2016, London, United Kingdom
eLearning Africa 2016
24 - 26 May 2016, Cairo, Egypt
KM UK 2016
15 - 16 Jun 2016, London, United Kingdom
Theory and Applications in the Knowledge Economy
06 Jul - 08 Feb 2016, Aveiro, Portugal
3rd European Conference on Social Media ECSM 2016
12 - 13 Jul 2016, Caen, France
17th European Conference on Knowledge Management
01 - 02 Sep 2016, Belfast, Ireland
13th International Conference on Intellectual Capital, Knowledge Management & Organisational Learning
14 - 15 Oct 2016, New York, United States
KM World 2016
14 - 17 Nov 2016, Washington DC, United States
Subscribing and Unsubscribing
You may subscribe to this newsletter on my website. Or if you no longer wish to receive this newsletter or if you wish to modify your e-mail address or make other changes to your membership profile then please go to this page on my website.
The Gurteen Knowledge Letter
The Gurteen Knowledge-Letter is a free monthly e-mail based KM newsletter for knowledge workers. Its purpose is to help you better manage your knowledge and to stimulate thought and interest in such subjects as Knowledge Management, Learning, Creativity and the effective use of Internet technology. Archive copies are held on-line where you can register to receive the newsletter.
It is sponsored by the Henley Forum of the Henley Business School, Oxfordshire, England.
You may copy, reprint or forward all or part of this newsletter to friends, colleagues or customers, so long as any use is not for resale or profit and I am attributed. And if you have any queries please contact me.
Fleet, United Kingdom