- I briefly explain the process
- I blow my whistle (an acme thunderer - the world's first reliable pea whistle - that was invented in 1884 by Joseph Hudson in Birmingham, England and which over 160 million have been sold worldwide! I carry it with me at all times on my key-ring)
- Everyone finds a partner - someone whom they do not know
- They have two minutes to tell each other a little about themselves
- I blow my whistle again and they swap partners
- They again have two minutes for conversation
- I repeat this procedure maybe 3 or 4 times
- Finally I blow my whistle twice to indicate the end!
It really lifts the energy in the room and my biggest problem is getting people to stop and sit down again :-)
And of course you did not even need a whistle - but try shouting over the cacophony of 30 or more people chatting away and you may go out and buy one for the next event.
You can also combine this with people tagging.