www.gurteen.com

Blog Post

Business cases are a waste of time!

Posted to Gurteen Knowledge-Log by David Gurteen on 19 January 2009

 


Title

Business cases are a waste of time!
WeblogGurteen Knowledge Log
Knowledge LetterAppears in the Gurteen Knowledge Letter issue: 103
Posted DateMonday 19 January 2009 12:13 GMT
Posted ByDavid Gurteen
Linkshttp://discussionleader.hbsp.com/cramm/2008/11/business-case ... 
http://www.llrx.com/features/rethinkingroi.htm ... 

Knowledge managers are always asking how they can obtain support for a KM project by demonstrating the ROI especially as the measuring the ROI of a KM initiative is so difficult.

This article by Susan Cramm on the Harvard Business Publishing website is about IT projects but I think is even more applicable to KM projects. This is what she says:
In most cases, the benefits outlined in business (proposals) are a work of creative fiction, and, once the initiative is approved, they are filed and forgotten.

Smart leaders don't waste their time with this. They play the game, but they know how to make the game worth playing. They understand that only 30% of IT-enabled business initiatives deliver as expected and that the other 70% are plagued with unclear business objectives, missing-in-action executive support and inadequate user involvement.


It's a ritual that needs to played! Susan then offers some very sound advise in my opinion. The words below, especially the ones I have highlighted in bold are KEY. In short, business life is political :-)
To build support, it's important to align the initiative to the overall strategic business objectives and to align the initiative to serve the selfish interests of the individuals who will be impacted most.





The Gurteen Knowledge Search Engine is a customised Google search engine that searches over 800 KM related websites and weblogs.

David Gurteen


Follow me on Twitter


I help people to share their knowledge; to learn from each other; to innovate and to work together effectively to make a difference!

Services I offer
How to contact me

My Blog

Gurteen Knowledge Community
The Gurteen Knowledge Community
The Gurteen Knowledge Community is a global learning community of over 21,000 people in 160 countries across the world.

The community is for people who are committed to making a difference: people who wish to share and learn from each other and who strive to see the world differently, think differently and act differently.

Membership of the Gurteen Knowledge Community is free.
Knowledge Community



     

home
back
contact
request help
visitor book
Tuesday 23 May 2017
04:21 AM GDT